Thursday, May 9, 2013

Fear

Carter's imagination is not only taking off in the way he plays these days but it is showing in a few irrational fears.

He had a nightmare about bee's right before we left for Texas.  He thought they were in his room.  I tried to take the fear out of them by explaining that bee's aren't scary.  They make honey.  They want to live where flowers are, not in his bedroom, so that they can make honey for us to eat.

Good Families Don't....fart.  By: Robert Munsch.  Yes, it's a children's book.  We used to think it was so funny.  Carter did not.  He thought it was scary.  Some nights I let him take books to bed with him.  More of a "gift" so I can get out of his room.  And he can't even see them in the dark, but it works. So while in Texas apparently Grammy offered to let him keep the books they just read in his bed. He said he didn't want that scary, toot, book.  She even had to hide it.  The next day she had him write a story about a nice toot.  It is hilarious.  I'll just type it because it's pretty short:

Baby Toots 
By: Carter McCoy

One day, Carter was going poop and a little toot came out.  And it was a baby toot.  Then the baby toot fell down the stairs.  And he said, "I'm hurt!  I'm hurt!"  His mommy came and gave him a kiss on his hurt face.

The End.

Dora:  His little rotation of tv shows that he watches while I put Corbin down for his nap is pretty basic, Sesame Street, Bob the Builder, Caillou and Thomas the Train.  So I was setting him up and suggested something new.  Why?  He was happy.  Ugh.  So he chose Dora (this is Netflix, so you select by the character's picture).  When I came back downstairs he was so quiet.  The said "That man doesn't want anyone to come on his bridge."  He looked so concerned.  So I questioned him further.  He went on "That man isn't nice. He is scary, mom."  I asked him if he wanted me to turn it off.  He did.  That is the end of Dora.  Ha!

Ants:  Canadian ants don't bite.  But while in Texas we had to warn him a few times about ant hills.  So the rest of the trip he'd yell "Texas Ants!!!  Texas Ants!!!  Oooooo!!!!"  

Shadows: Another book while in Texas was about a duck who was scared to go to sleep.  WHY did I read this???  He isn't scared to go to sleep!!!!  But he chose it.  Ugh.  So one of the things the duck was scared of was shadows.  It's never crossed his mind that shadows could be scary.  Ugh.  That night, the last night, he was scared of shadows and wanted to sleep with me.  First time in history that he's wanted to sleep with me.  Luckily we were out of there the next day and all about scary shadows is forgotten.

Ahh, I love watching their little brains grow!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how their minds work?! What a smart smart boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. And I want that toot book!

    ReplyDelete