Thursday, June 7, 2012

30 @ 30

I.am.thirty.

Those words are hard for me to say (not as hard to type though).

I turned 30 last weekend and I was dreading it.  I usually don't really care about birthday's.  I don't need gifts or a celebration. An acknowledgement is nice maybe dinner, but I don't require much.  And I'm happy with that!

About 3 weeks prior to this birthday something hit me.  It wasn't good.  And I wasn't pleasant about it either. I was super sensitive, crying for silly things like John saying "Woah, pulled a little close to the curb there, eh?"  Tears. Really?

I think it just sounds old.  I don't feel old.  

I don't feel like I've accomplished all I wanted to accomplish by this age.  (This, is according to my Life Map created in High School.)

Well, John couldn't have made me feel more special on this day.  I'll never forget all the thought he put into a day for me.  It was the sweetest ever.  

On June 1st, I gave myself the 182 injection in my stomach, put on knee high compression socks...like an old lady would to prevent DVT and/or varicose veins.  Then, I went to bed grumpy and crying a little bit.  (This really is pathetic.)

On June 2nd, John woke me up and brought me down stairs to start the day!  Beautiful sunflowers, warm cinnamon rolls and a note saying to be ready in :45 min because transportation would be here to take me to the spa!



I had a fabulous Prenatal massage and a spa pedicure!

Next, John and Carter were there to pick me up and bring me to my "Playground Hat-de-ah."  If you don't know what that is, I feel sorry for you.  Kidding.  Hat-de-ah is "party" in Carter Language.  It derives from the root word Happy (birthday, like the song) in the English Language.  We headed to Prince's Island for a big picnic.  




John thought of every detail.  Even straws for Carter and my missing sunglasses!  He picked up awesome food from one of our favorite restaurants Willies!  So so good.


Carter was ready for a party and ran to the playground.  He didn't eat a bite. He thought all these other families were here for the party too!  LIVING IT UP!  Much like his parents, he loves a good party.


Climbing...not eating.

Okay, the necklace (or medal) is just too funny.

It's my hair band.

He loves it.  Wore it yesterday too.  Ha!

Next, we came home for nap time.  Which is always a gift, especially on weekends, when I get to enjoy it with my BFF!  John and I started to put the nursery together!  So exciting after a scare I had the week before.  (I thought we'd be bringing home a premie, so we went straight to work. Clothes are washed, crib is up, car seat is rediscovered.)

I was pleasantly surprised with my fabulous happy birthday celebration!  But there was more!

He had dug through my phone to set up a babysitter.  So to fancy-schmancy dinner we went!  5 courses later, we were pooped.  

Yes, I wore the same outfit all day.  Not many grownup outfits that fit right now.



Then he gave me a gift...as if I didn't get enough already!!  The gift was more than I would ever, ever expect.  It is to replace a very special piece of jewelry was taken from our home in Nanjing.  Losing this was devastating.  And one more reason to hate Nanjing.  Replacing it isn't the same, but even in the amount of time it's been missing, our lives together mean something totally new.  Marriage is cool that way. P.S. The thief left my Aggie Ring which was laying next to it...what does that say?

Okay, okay, enough already John, right??  

The best part of the day was the card that came with the gift.  Sweetest words written ever.  One of the things he wrote about was our life of adventure together and the blessings we've shared together.  They are more than he (we both, really) could have imagined.  His words made me think about my Life Map I created back in High School.  My map was a great idea; by 30, fab career as a reporter/anchor, 2 kids...waiting on a third, teaching workout classes in my spare time (ha!) and loving marriage.  BUT, little did I know that God would actually lead me on such a different Life Map.  An even more creative, loving, and fun life map than I could have imagined!  

I've loved every bit of my 30 years!  And can't wait to see what the next 30 bring!!

John and I are BIG goal people.  We actually have a planned (like scheduled in the day-planner) Goal Night at least once a year.  A little tradition we started this night in Paris:



(Not the same night but equally as cool.)



I'm creating a list of 30 things I'd like to accomplish this year.  Some people do this at 29 years old...but I didn't feel the need then.  Apparently, I'm taking this whole 30 thing too seriously, but I really feel like I need to put more in writing.  If I feel confident enough, I'll post my list.  If not, they will just go on my bathroom mirror, where our goals go and I'll update them on here as I feel like it!

Let's kick off my 30 @ 30!
I feel this is the appropriate photo to symbolize the whole list:


Me, 30@30.  30 years old at 30 weeks pregnant.
(Taken in the Spa bathroom, alone with the phone.  Klassy, with a capital K.)

Number 1....drum roll......

1. Kiss Corbin's sweet face, and smell his sweet hair, on or around August 11.

Don't you want to kiss those little lips?

Eyes opening.  Sleepy boy.
Love you!!!!!!!

Okay, still overly emotional...I cry every time I look at these pictures and think those thoughts.


9 comments:

  1. Sweet husband, sweet post, sweet pictures of both your little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special birthday! Congratulations on your newest blessing! I LOVE the name Corbin!! Sooo cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN and memorable 30th birthday! Your boys know how to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've accomplished so much in 30 years! Look at your beautiful, wonderful, and supportive family! I'm still amazed that you have lived all over the world and are raising a family. What an adventure and an amazing way to grow. Happy belated 30th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best post!! This one goes down in history, made me tear up ;) Happy happy Birthday to a most beautiful girl, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see someone else teared up, because I totally did reading it! So so happy for you! Happy birthday, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! What heartfelt writing! So happy for you friend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love you guys so very much! You truly are one of the most amazing people I know. Thank you for being you and being one of the most important people in my life. (And I'm totally stealing the 30 for 30 idea!) Xoxo to all 4 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realize I am about 2 months late...but happy belated 30th bday!! This is so sweet...sounds like a very special and fun day :) I turn 30 next Monday so I am having some of these same feelings! Eek!

    ReplyDelete