Thursday, November 12, 2009

I Dream of Chicken Pox

As a child, one of the first "Big Moments" in life that I remember anticipating was catching the Chicken Pox. My friends were all catching it and I was really looking forward to having them too. The coolest part was that (once you were no longer contagious) when spending time out in the sun you had to carry an umbrella until you were all healed.

Well, when my oldest brother Brandon caught the Chicken Pox, I knew my time was right around the corner! My time did come....and of course it wasn't as glorious as I imagined it would be. After the week or so I was ready for the pox to be all gone.

Needless to say, I am now immune to Chicken Pox!

Little did I know...I am NOT immune to Shingles. Shingles is the "Grown up" version of the Chicken Pox. This virus I had as a child (works the same if you have had the vaccine) never really goes away. It becomes dormant. Then, when you are older and your body is in a time of stress (like pregnancy), it can return.....as Shingles.

Well, that is the cause of the burning sensation that I have on the back of my right leg. Shingles settles in one specific spot and this is where it has chosen to stay on me. I am now reliving those few days I had to spend in the Pink Lotion AND once again I can even spread Chicken Pox (not Shingles) to those of you who haven't had them yet. Lucky me!

Good news is that it causes no harm to Carter...I may even pass on a bit of immunities to him.

UPDATE....Oops:

I have just learned that I did not catch the Chicken Pox from Brandon! I caught them from a friend while we were living in Scotland.

I did, of course, rub my victory in Brandon's face by singing "I caught them first". He would then taunt me back by poking me in the Pox and sing "Well, I'm going to get them next." I don't think he caught them.

Who won that battle? I'm thinking Brandon. (As I sit here on day two in my Pink Lotion.)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, so sorry you are having to deal with the shingles while pregnant. I hope its not too bad for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. Not as big of a deal as it sounds!! AND the pink lotion works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really really odd, I am just recovering from a bout of the Shingles myself. Wierd!

    ReplyDelete