Thursday, August 2, 2012

First Soccer Practice (Video Added)

Carter attended his first, EVER, soccer practice!  This seriously makes me so excited, not for myself, of course.  I know the "childhood sport routine"  it sucks parents in and spits them out 18 years later a different person.  BUT Carter is a HUGE sport fan, I was excited for him.  He legitimately loves learning and playing them.  He has a desire to be good, or do what goal should be accomplished.  And major meltdowns occur if they don't .  He may give himself like 3 misses or so, but after that, watch out.  Redhead temper.

Here is the deal, and I recommend this to anyone willing to start this in their own neighborhood:

Parents in our neighborhood started a "Drop In Soccer Practice."  No real age limits...but around 3 years old and up.  It's a donation of $5-$20 bucks.  We meet at a park.  They set up the goals.  Pass out green or yellow shirts.  Split up and "practice" then "scrimmage."  (Notice the amount of quotes in this paragraph?)  There is also a playground at this park, great for when your child gets bored.  Ha!  OH and there is usually a snack, when the practice isn't hailed-out.

Carter LOVED this.  He has been looking forward to it for weeks.  And now wants to go back.  After his nap, I told him what we'd be doing and he told me he needed to wear a jersey.  He doesn't have a soccer jersey so he chose his Texas Ranger's jersey.  (Pretty cute!!)  The coach told him he needed a (yellow or green) shirt, but Carter told him he already had one on.  Ha ha.  Which is true, he did already have a shirt on!

He keeps saying "I'm so proud" in the most giddy voice ever.  I ask "why?" and he explains "Soccer.  I kick soccer ball in goal." Everyone got a turn.  Ha ha.  Proud??  Didn't know he a. knew that word and b. could use it properly.  But I'm glad he's proud and happy he had a blast.

I couldn't take out the camera during practice because of the weather but interviewed him after his game:


5 comments:

  1. That "woo ooo" from the mommies and daddies and the "bye" at the end totally got me. Go green team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so so cute!! I love how much he loves sports!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Sarah!! Little Carter is so precious! Y'all are going to have so much fun playing sports over the years! We just loved it! I love the "i'm proud"...team sports has reached its main goal if our kids can be proud of themselves!! ;)

    ReplyDelete