Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Shanghai Weekend {Antique Market}

Here in Nanjing, we don't have many dining options so it's usually Cafe McCoy, Jimmy's Pizza or room service (but we are pretty OVER that menu).

So, one mission while in Shanghai is to eat as much good food as we can.

Bright and early, we headed to Hong Mei Lu.
(The sign says Hong Mei Pedestrian Street and it's right between that building and that car.)

A little Chinese Lesson for ya:
1. If the word ends in Lu it is a street.
2. If you EVER go to Shanghai, you NEED to know that street! It is fun!

It's actually a long alley off of Hong Mei Lu with TONS of restaurants and bars. We love this area. There is every type of restaurant you can imagine and lots of outdoor seating, which is always a fun atmosphere.

(Notice we are the only ones here at the moment. Think 6th Street and North Gate at 8:00 am.)


We don't mind being here that early!

Hey buddy! I see you through the window!!

Breakfast is ready!!!


Come and get it! We had waffles, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, eggs, hash browns, bacon, fruit and coffee. What? Carter was hungry, okay!

One of the things I love about a big city is that there are SO many things you can do in such a short amount of time. When we head "to town" for the weekend, I'm a busy bee!

So on Day 2 of our weekend, which was actually Monday, due to the Chinese Tomb Sweeping Holiday, I snuck out again durning Carter/Daddy's nap.

I headed to Dong Tai Lu.

Remember what Lu means? Street! Yes!

This is a SUPER fun antique market!!!

Notice all of the goods! I heart the bird cages.

Tons of Chairman Mao memorabilia.

Tons of abacus! (I got one like the dark middle one! Eeek!)

Look at these printed tins! So cute! I like the black one with the flowers.

See the red colorful painted decor? That is Tibetan furniture. Beautiful!

P.S. I have that blue plate, bottom, second from the left. I bought it when we first moved here at a not so good antique market. I thought it was original and paid $25 USD. Oops! Tai gue la/ too expensive! Most of this is all replicated and you should only pay about 1/3 of their starting price.
I love those hat boxes on the bench! I forgot that I've wanted a pointy one! Maybe next trip. John will be so happy. :)

He teases like:
Sarah, I think you should buy more abacuses, you can never have too many.
and
I think we need a big Chinese drum in our living room. (It's coming!!!)

He secretly likes it and thinks I have good taste. We make a good pair!

I also love those old wooden benches. They are so little! Cute for maybe a plant to sit on! Also, the oval tub holding some trays looks really neat too. Wouldn't that be cute with some rolled up towels in a bathroom or to hold drinks at a party!?

Finally, my favorite!
I LOVE these paint brushes! They look like jewelry to me and they have beautiful mahogany stands to hang them on.

Here is what I got:

1. The abacus like the one shown above. (No picture)

2. I filled in and completed my Paint Brush collection. Still working on the arrangement though. I'm not sure if I like the smaller ones hiding the larger ones. :(

My little Chinese corner! There is the blue plate I was telling you about!

I found the orange pottery there a long time ago. Both the blue and orange have dragons on them! That is for good luck! I'm kind of in love with dragons now. Strange? I think this old pattern is so ornate but the hidden dragons make it kind of cool and edgy.

And in case you are wondering those are chopsticks in the orange vase.


3. My third and final purchase:

What? We NEEDED a horse! I bet you didn't see that one coming! Again, I think it's ornate yet edgy! And to me, ornate and edgy cancel each other out to keep the room laid back and comfortable. (Not sure if this makes sense to anyone else but John and I! Ha!)

Oh...and that blue vase in the back is also a Dong Tai Lu find from way-back when!

Remember everything is at Wal-Mart SALE prices! Fabulous!!

1 comment:

  1. love love love this stuff! Especially the paintbrushes!

    ReplyDelete