Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fabric Negotiating and Pillow Cases



Today, on our daily trip to the grocery store across the street from our house, we took the long way home to peek at a fabric shop.

I am trying to walk past this shop a few times a week. Each time I walk past I make sure that the owner notices me. I wave and give him a "Ni Hao!" (Hello!) I want him to know that I live here. I'm not a tourist. I'm comfortable here, not intimidated, confident, friendly and shop (DAILY). "You want me as a customer, you want me as a customer."

China business is run with the term Guanxi (pronounced guan-she) which means: relationships. And this is very real. You need to establish relationships for good deals. Because nobody pays the same price.

Grocery and big chains...not so much. Little businesses...for sure. Except for a Chinese Airline (I'll have to ask John the name, it has slipped my mind), if you have to read the website in English you pay 3x the amount. If you can read it in Chinese characters...a third of the price.

Okay, so back to the fabric. In Shanghai, they are so used to foreigners, negotiations are "game on" for all. No matter what color your skin is! Of course, you can never negotiate as low as a local. They will let you walk away if you try to pay that little. BUT here in Nanjing, they are trying to charge ridiculous prices!!! I can't stand it. I got pretty good at navigating the Shanghai markets but am way out of practice since I've have the little man in tow. Nanjing is a whole new ballgame.

I am trying to get some table linens made from this man. I want him to be my "fabric guy" because he is SOOO close and this all takes so much time. So a few weeks ago I went into his shop, picked everything out and started the negotiations. He was at $180 for table cloth, 2 runners, napkins, chair pillows and place mats.

I'm so used to Chinese prices now that I don't even know if that is good at home or not. But not good here. Nice joke guy!!

Usually, they throw a price, you throw half (or a third of the price), and you meet near half of the starting price. You have to have a mean face, act all serious, business like and fake walk away a few times. Gather your purse, calculator, pen and paper, huff and puff, etc. They usually say "okay, okay, okay."

Well, Mr. Nanjing Fabric Guy....didn't budge. At ALL!!!

So today, he was selling some extra pillow cases he made. I collected this hodge-podge of extras for $15! Not too shabby!!

One of these.

Three of these. Okay, maybe if we have a girl someday? Who knows, but I thought the fabric was cool.

Three of these. I can always use a little blue and brown!

2 of these gray. My least favorite, but could look neat with black.

One of the bottom right. I liked the two on the bottom even though they didn't have any matching, they look pretty neat together.

I'm sure I'll find a home for all of them!

How do you like me now, Mr. Nanjing Fabric Guy!? I see how low you can go!! Because your mama (seriously) sold me 10 pillow cases at $1.50 each. I'll be back for my table cloth later! Get your game face on!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I love it! Good luck! Oh and that fabric is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm not a tourist...and shop (DAILY)." ha!!! I bet these fabrics are SO luxurious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fabrics are beautiful!

    I am enjoying your blog. I have always wanted to travel the world and live somewhere different from the USA. I have been to Europe but that's about it. LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete