Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lessons Learned

After living here for a year and a half I've learned quite a bit about the Chinese culture. Since Carter joined us...I've learned even more.

1. Chinese people LOVE babies! And especially foreign babies! Carter (and any foreign babies) is often surrounded by a crowd of people taking his picture.

2. They often comment on how "beautiful and big" his nose is. "Ummm....Thanks?!!???" (They are fascinated that the bridge is protruding at such a young age!) Ha ha.

3. I'm told daily (through body language) that he is too cold and I do not put enough clothes on him. (Horrible MOM!!!) Before you start judging me too, their babies are wearing long sleeves, sweater, pants, woolie hat, socks and slippers in 90 degree weather. Carter is in a summer outfit sans socks and shoes. I been instructed to smile and say "We do things differently."

4. We are also crazy because "no, our dog does not live in a cage now that we have a baby in the house." We have been recommended to get rid of Lucy now that we have Carter because a baby can't be around dogs. When I've asked why, they didn't know. I guess it has always just been that way. I get some wild stares and double-takes when Carter is in the Baby Bjorn and I'm walking Lucy. I'm sure we are a sight to see.

5. My Chinese teacher has taught me how to say "Please, do not touch the baby." It is their culture to touch babies...however, it is our culture to NOT touch the stranger's baby. I try to be super polite about it but it makes my stomach do flip-flops to have TONS of strangers groping him everyday. Sadly, it must be said.

As I'm typing this, Lucy is sleeping next to Carter's crib and I can see people in the office building across from us playing table tennis (9:30 pm). Gotta love it!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well of course Carter's constantly surrounded by strangers wanting to touch him and take his picture - have you seen how gorgeous he is??? Interesting info though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, you are too sweet!! :) It is interesting here, that is for sure! Everyday you see something different...and I'm sure they are saying the same thing about seeing us. Ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete